15 December 2010

I'm said to report a great loss today...my sewing machine died.  After getting 3 opinions, it was named "un-reparable."  Time of death: 11:08am 15 December 2010.  Maybe I should take up knitting so I don't have to worry about something electronic crashing on me again!


On a happy note I was on The Quilt Shoppes blog roll today!  You can check it out at www.the-quilt-shoppe.blogspot.com.  Thankfully I already completed my Christmas gift sewing!  
What's the best brand of sewing machine to buy these days.  And is buying an older machine better than buying a new one?
~Becky~

4 comments:

  1. Found you through the Blog Roll at Holly Jolly Blog Bingo. So, you were on two blog rolls? Wow.
    Sorry to hear about your machine. I have had my Brother for several years and love it. Have never purchased an older machine, altho I do have an old singer that I use occasionally. Love it too.
    I will check back again. Gotta rush.
    Happy Holidays.
    grami
    gramisews at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Viking 990 bought new in 1980, still using it today without ever having it in the shop (even for a cleaning). I have sewn denim, leather, (chaps for rodeo queens), silk, knits, and of course cotton. I have sewn on average about 10 to 20 hours a week since it was new. I bought a new Viking, Designer II Quilt Edition, about 3 years ago, it has been in the shop once already for mechanical repair and for light issue. The light is still not working. So if you still want an opinion here goes---If you have the time, look for an older one that hasn't had much use. In this economy, some of the major brands will be coming up for sale very reasonable. My original Viking 990, the last time I looked, was going for about $125. Paid about $900 for it new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear of your dear friend's demise. My machines are like an extension of my arms. I hope you will be able to find another friend that serves you as faithfully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry for this lost...knitting and crocheting have no electronic problems, but handsewing would be hard. hugs

    ReplyDelete